Monday, May 22, 2006

Barbaro, World Party, and bloat


Went up to the bunker for a wet fall-type weekend with old friends. Lot of overeating and some light imbiding going on.

Saturday pm, I (and the other 17 horseracing fans in this country) tuned in to watch and wager both cash and emotional currency on the great thoroughbred, Barbaro's, pursuit of the Triple Crown in the Preakness Stakes. Tragedy struck as the Kentucky Derby winner pulled up with an injured hind leg in visually upsetting sequence that effectively put a damper on any and all festivities that were on-going. I can only hope the horse, who has been given a 50/50 chance for survival, recovers and heads for the breeding shed...

Churning through our Ipods on the stereo to find some musical relief, my fishing buddy intro'd a band whose cd he had just imported from England, . When he mentioned the name, World Party, it sounded really familiar. The ensuing listening session revealed a band of many polished approaches and influences (admittedly some of those influences may be a little too apparent at times) from Dylan to Mick Jagger to Neil Young and a little R&B thrown in for good measure. All in all, a good band with a lefto political stance and a polished, highly listenable style (think a rockier version of Jamiroquai). I was curious as to the origins of this band, so a little research turns up the fact that this the same World Party that churned out 80's hits like my personal fav "Ship of Fools" (I vaguely remember the video). Nice to do some muscial time travel with friends on a rainy weekend. Now if I could just get my mind off that disturbing image of Barbaro (not to mention my c-note) pulling up.
g

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home