Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Julio Lugo and Nancy Drew

My Red Sox made a couple of moves yesterday, signing Julio Lugo and J.D. Drew. Lugo is a good hitting, bad fielding 31 year old shortstop and Drew is an oft injured, very good all-around outfielder (sometimes referred to as Nancy Drew due to his reluctance to play injured). The total price tag, $22,000,000 per year...mercy. Checkbook baseball has engulfed the "nation". Somebody in the Red Sox front office must have read that old George Steinbrenner bio, "I Can Buy the Pennant Anytime I Want". Winning can justify any expenditure, but the signings, combined with the Japanese pitcher deal will necessitate that I give up the moral high ground on the payroll issue, which unfortunately means I now have to come up with a whole new Red Sox vs. Yankees rap. Dang! I have about six doormen around the city lying in wait for me to question these deals...and I have no rap.

Oh, and the 'Manny being Manny' trade dance is still on-going. I would prefer Manny stay with the Sox regardless of his wavering loyalties and flagging competitive fire. That crazy mofo can hit.
g

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home